Sunday, June 26, 2016

Be a Jenius Ep2: Installing a 5 prong car switch





The following article is filled with boring educational content which would most probably not be of interest to you (according to statistics) if :

a) You do not know which side of the battery is positive (FYI, it's the one which posts motivational quotes on Facebook every morning.)
b) You believe your mobile phone runs on magic
c) You voted for Brexit

First, a schematic on how to wire up such a device.

If you're attempting to do this on your own, then the schematic above should really be enough. If it still doesn't quite make sense to you then I suggest you find somebody who knows what they're doing just in case you short a fuse or something.



So basically, there are 2 LED modules in the 5 prong switch, one of which is to be switched on primarily when you switch on your car (or boat) dash board lights and the other will light up when you flip the 5 prong switch to "on". In this case, the light that switches on with the dash board lights is the one behind the " ZOMBIE LIGHTS " and the one which switches on with the appliance lies behind the biohazard symbol.

Prongs 6 and 7 (ZOMBIE LIGHTS)
Because I was too lazy to pull wires from my dashboard light controller and had a loose remote wire which I had drawn from my head unit, I decided to go ahead to connect that loose remote wire to prong number 6. With prong 7 connected to the body of my vehicle (or ground), I created a parallel circuit that would switch on the LEDs behind the "ZOMBIE LIGHTS" when my head unit was drawing power (watch the video to see what i mean).

Prongs 2, 3 and 8 (Biohazard Symbol)
I split the wire connected to prong 6 and twisted on another connector to ground prong 8. After which, I removed the existing power wire I had running to the Lypin audio amplifier driving my subwoofer. Connecting the wire I removed to prong 2 and running another wire out of prong 3 to the amplifier completed the circuit.

Things to note
1. Always remove the negative terminal from your car battery before doing any electrical work on your vehicle for safety.
2. Most cars have slots where you could fit a switch in as pictured below. Aesthetically, installing the switch in such a slot would definitely be more pleasing on the eyes.
3. While LEDs do note use much power, I would advise against connecting prong 6 directly to the power source (prong 2) but I believe that connecting prong 6 to prong 3 should not give you any problems.
4. Use proper connectors or insulate your wires properly to avoid shorts which would be a real pain especially if you can't start your car and allow the alternator to charge your battery.

 

That's pretty much it! Hope this post comes in useful for somebody totally clueless on how to wire up such a switch. If you need any help just comment on the YouTube video and I shall tr my best to help you out.

Otherwise, tight lines and smiley face :D



Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Jenius2016 © . Powered by Blogger.