Saturday, June 4, 2016

ATC Challenge 2016



A day of continuous drizzle plagued the pay pond at Pasir Ris but the overcast sky was definitely preferred to an onslaught of fiery rays. Having traveled early from the west of the island, I went ahead for some sustenance at the nearby Mc Donald's with my family after my registration for the competition. It was about half past 7 and the pond was already teeming with people. I've never had much luck at this hunting ground (because I'm one of those stubborn people that insists on parking my bait) so securing a supposed promising spot wasn't a priority. Like the mass of anglers at the event though, I too was feeling optimistic and hopeful.

Breakfast took more time than initially planned and I was definitely to miss the first cast but that didn't bother me either as first cast did not guarantee an amazing catch (by now you should have realized that I'm one of those hopeless buggers that hold on to the belief that the fish will choose my bait if the universe deems it to be such). The horn which signaled the commencement of the event blazed through the air as I waltzed around the perimeter of the pond hoping to find a spot where I could park my bait. The process was a little pressurizing as people eyeballed me to move ahead. Anglers are generally nice people in my honest opinion, always willing to advice and help those who require assistance but I too am guilty of such acts of passive motivation as an overcrowded fishing area just isn't conducive. I finally managed a spot between a young angler accompanied by his female acquaintance and a group of anglers who seemed like regulars to the pond.

Early into the event, there was a bombardment of casts from lurers and bait spinners hoping to get the early edge into the competition. Shouts of excitement were heard from all over the pond and the entertaining echos that accompanied them were definitely not unnoticed. Spirits were high and the fish were biting at every section. I had on a single hook running sinker rig and the bait of choice for the day were red tenya prawns recommended to me by Baithouse.



A few hours into the competition (wasn't really keeping time so do pardon me if I get this wrong), news of a 32kg Grouper landed was heard all over the pond. The news had both the effect of motivating anglers who felt positive that there were monsters to be caught yet demoralizing them with the high benchmark set. I was intrigued but my strategy was still reliant on destiny.

3 hours into the competition and still without a bite, I decided to switch up to a 2-hook apollo rig with the same baits with a slight modification of using elastic thread to hold my bait in place from all those pesky nibblers. I continued parking my baits as the people around me went through an array of strategies and baits as they chalked up a decent number of catches. Barramundi (KBL/ Seabass) seemed to be the most common catch of the day as I saw few other species being caught. My lack of catch by noon could really be blamed fully on my stubbornness as KBLs are known to be best caught on moving lure/bait (its an action thing).

With the assistance of the young angler I mentioned earlier on to help watch my stuff (Thanks again man! This is one reason why every angler needs a fishing kaki), I proceeded to collect my lunch at the registration booth after a reminder from one of the representatives of the organizing committee. With lunch in hand, I sashayed my way back to the fishing grounds. As I was nearing the spot I was fishing at, I spotted my rod bend and the drag clicker let a quick yelp as the rod reverted back to its original state. A short jog and I was ready to strike although slightly skeptical if the fish was still on.
*I'm not going to elaborate on the rest of the action as a lot of embarrassing rookie mistakes were committed hahaha. Just watch the YouTube video*



The fish was landed with help from nearby anglers and I really do appreciate all the help that I received. Thanks people! I've lost this species a number of times and this was the first time I actually managed to land it so yay achievement unlocked! It wasn't the biggest caught that day but it was decent enough for me. ( The fish was about 2.5 to 3 feet long and measured to be around 3kg.)

Lunch was Nasi Goreng (Sambal?) and it was edible but could have been wayy better with a fried egg to top it off but I finished it all anyway. A short distance from where I was though, I spotted a group of people dawning the Singapore Surf Casting Competition tops and these guys were the most prepared for the day in my opinion. At the edge of one of the sheltered tables they were holding base at, I spotted a container of Sambal Telur (boiled egg in sambal sauce) and I knew there and then that these guys knew how to live the life. (I'm actually feeling hungry writing about this now. hahaha gosh) I guess everybody looks at fishing with their own perspective and whether its about the fish, the sport or simply just about the people around you, as long as you're enjoying your time, you must be doing something right.

The rest of the day was pretty mehh for me as I stuck to my lousy strategy. The guy who helped me look after my stuff when I went to grab lunch caught a 6kg+ KBL shortly after (good karma working for you :D ). The bites started to increase again nearing the end of the fishing event as people raked in that last few fishes.



I managed a glimpse of the 32kg monster during the prize presentation ceremony and I stayed on for the lucky draw but luck wasn't on my side. Overall, I enjoyed the day's proceedings (my first fishing competition of such scale) and left the place a very happy me. It seems that there are 2 more of those large monster groupers in the pay pond for any of you out there who are into hunting said beasts. 

Till next time, tight lines and smiley face :)

Question though: Just curious, am I being too much of an ass if I park my rig far out? Because it kinda restricts bait spinners' and lurers' casting spectrum right?

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Jenius2016 © . Powered by Blogger.