Saturday, August 13, 2016

SASAS 2016 : Dancing in a Battle


A few years back I had the opportunity to witness the Tri-uni Pokémon Dance Battle organized by NTU's SoulFunky. It was my first time attending a dance battle and man was I clueless on the protocols that governed these things. At that time, I had vague knowledge of dance battles with my spectrum of understanding gathered only from dance battles I had watched on YouTube. The live experience was no doubt refreshing and even inspiring with a few faces making reappearances at other dance battles in the following years to come.

13 August 2016 marks a milestone for Soulmix. This was the day Soulmix had its inaugural internal dance battle event, Soulmix All-Styles All-Stars or SASAS for short. The honor was mine to have worked with a small team of dedicated dancers to make this event possible. While it is true that our crew had a majority of young dancers, it brings me great motivation to see these young dancers stepping up and even pawning my pseudo-dance butt. I truly hope that all who took part in the proceedings, whether as a contestant, a judge or an audience bring back a little spark to experiment and push yourselves further in terms of dance.

A wise man once told me that in order to be a true dancer, one has to be able to learn choreographies, choreograph to music and also be able to participate in dance battles. With time, I had came to the understanding that these boiled down to 3 simplified complexities of dance which is to execute moves, to visualize dance, and to understand music. Of course these 3 essence of dance do not in any way possess any kind of mutual independence.

Free styling is no doubt the blue cheese of dance for most dancers. We know its edible and its just cheese but the smell and sight of the fermented produce is just quite off putting for most. I say just take a bite, we might come to enjoy the taste and for all you know, it might change your life forever (yes, cheese is that great). Some people might need a little push, a little coaxing or even a little pressure to finally take the dive but unlike water, dance is forgiving and everybody survives the plunge.

Throughout the journey to SASAS 2016, I've heard many comments with the effect of "hating free styling". It does sadden me that sometimes we fear that which we do not fully understand. Before I had any opportunity to try contemporary, I always thought it was a feminine genre and was "boring" but having had a few classes by seniors and peers, it is definitely one of my most respected and enjoyable genres now (even though I still can't properly point my feet). Sure, free styling might not come naturally and it might take a bit to push beyond one's comfort zone and no doubt the intimidation of battles do not aid in the process but here's my take, once you jump off and hit plunge into the deep end, once its over, you'll realize you can swim (or float at least).

SASAS 2016 was also the first time I've experienced a dance battle as a contestant. With my limited vocabulary and an inability to funk, I was knocked out in the early stages but it didn't really matter because I had tremendous fun (but definitely not looking forward to the videos where I made a fool of myself). For me, dance is simple, you either aim to impress or aim to entertain. The latter, I believe, is definitely  my forte.

They say dance is a form of expression. I say express freely and speak the music of your soul through your body. Like speech, it doesn't matter if you do not own an array of vocabulary or if your voice sounds funny. Some people are more fluent in certain languages and that's fine too. Travel out of your comfort zone because it just doesn't make any sense to meticulously prepare a speech when having a conversation.

 One Heart ~ One Mind ~ One Body ~ One Soul

To Soulmix, thank you for supporting SASAS 2016 and here's to a great year ahead.
Volume 2 please? 

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Jenius2016 © . Powered by Blogger.